in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Just starting a scary adventure!

Last post 02-27-2008 9:41 AM by mmandkids. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-26-2008 4:17 PM

Just starting a scary adventure!

My husband and I have been talking about homeschooling our 12 year old son for about 1 year now. We put him in a private school (catholic) when he started kindergarden. The public school he would have gone to, at that time had 26 5 &6 year olds in one class and 23 in the other with half day sessions. So I thought that there was no way that 1 teacher no aid was going to be able to teach that amount of kids anything in 3 hours. All was fine until the end of his fith grade. Tuition was going up alot more each year, his attitude was getting worse. Had I known that if I enrolled him in a CCD class at our church he would have been able to stay on the basketball team, and this was the main reason we didn't take him out until Dec. of this year. The public middle school that he would have to attend was absolutely out of the question!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't want to take away the one thing that he loves more that anything. So we found out that he would be able to stay on the team if he went to CCD, and that was that. Tuition had just about doubled going from $2,600 a year to $5,200 for this year The stress of paying that 500 a month was too muc! His last day was Dec.23- 08. He seems be like it. For now anyway. My only fear is that will I be able to teach him what he needs to know, will he learn anything? Am I doing the right thing? I sure do hope so, because I have my sweet little boy back! Okay he may not be little but he is still my little boy in my eyes! And this is all the motivation I need to continue! Does this fear ever go away?
  • 01-27-2008 1:48 PM In reply to

Re: Just starting a scary adventure!

It sure does go away, just take your lead from God! He will lead you in the direction you should go, without a doubt. Try to connect with home education groups in your area for support and encouragement. You will find with time you will gain confidence in your abilities. Hope this helps.   

• 01-27-2008 2:52 PM In reply to

• vvagt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-20-2007
    • Illinois
    • Posts 20

My own experience is that all the fears don't go away. . .completely.  But is that a bad thing??

I had the "furrowed brow and nail-biting about homeschooling" every year for 13 years. But. . .maybe these fears--mine and your's -- are part of what leads us to do a good job?  Because we feel these fears. . .and because we have choices, we can make changes!  We can change curriculum--we can back off when we are pushing too hard. We can observe their learning styles, up close, and see how to help them--not perfectly, but well, and more and more as the years go by.

One thing I think can go away is having that fear in an individual day.  That may sound contradictory to what I said up above. . .but, it's really true.   We really can and do get to a point of being relaxed about today!   We chose a certain curriculum.  We've got a set of activities, for today.  If we need to make some changes about next year  . .or even about what we'll do a few months from now. . .we have time for that.  We can relax about that, not rush into it.  Homeschooling does reclaim our family's hours and days (I say this a lot!) and puts them "into the grassy, sunny, slow-lane of life."  Is there enough learning going on there--in our grassy, sunny, slow-lane?  There's time to look at that.  If you want to add more, you can, slowly, and as needed.   

Hope this wandering answer is a help!!   Warmly,  Virginia     

V
  • 01-28-2008 8:05 AM In reply to

I kind of went through the same thing with my first child, a boy. We put him in public school for kindergarden, had a bad experience, put him in private school for first-second-third grade. Half way through third grade they said he needed special education and couldn't offer that there, so I had  to put him into public school. That wasn't going good, so two months into fourth grade, we pulled in out of the school system and began to homeschool. I was constantly asking myself "Am I totally ruining this kid's education?" We ended up moving to another town with a really good school system the next year, and I gave him the choice of continuing homeschooling, or going on to public school. Two years later my son told me, "I learned more in that one year that you taught me than I've ever learned in school." That made that worth it! I do homeschool my other 4 children, and still have those feelings of "Am I doing a good enough job?" I think that if we didn't ask ourselves this question, we wouldn't be doing as good of a job as we are. Just make sure to get in with some good homeschool groups. It's always nice to have people to bouce ideas and questions off of. Good luck with everything. And hang in there. I'm sure you're doing a better job than you think! :)

• 02-27-2008 9:41 AM In reply to

I have been homeschooling my  3 previously Catholic and 'public schooled kids for the last 7 months.  Even though this is our first year, I know the kids have learned more, read more and enjoyed learning far more than they ever did in school.  Aside from the learning, and maybe more importantly, we are not experienceing the anxiety provoked by the rigidity of Catholic school schedules.  Yes, someday they will have to follow the rules and constraints of their workplace, but by then they will be mature enough to handle it!

You will find that your son will learn equal amounts, but different kinds of information even on the days when you don't "DO" school.  I am tempted sorely toward unschooling or Waldorf style because I see the learning potential, but to be painfully honest I am too much of a control freak.  Does anyone out there blend traditional and unconventional methods?

Momma of 6 in Ashburn,Virginia 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Home School, Inc 2007