in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Trouble

Last post 08-05-2012 11:42 PM by cooljessica. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-12-2012 10:32 AM

• cea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2012
    • Posts 1

Trouble

I have a 15 year old son who is going into 10th grade at a local charter school. We did homeschooling with him and his brothers for two years but I realized this last year when he had his first year back at brick-and-mortar that his problems had not been solved. He pretty much doesn't care and seems to have absolutely no motivations I can use to help him do better in school. He failed three classes last year. It had gotten to the point that we were having to micro manage him and we finally just took a more hands off approach and told him he needed to take responsibility for his own education. We were there to help him always but I wasn't going to pester him every moment of the day anymore. The result was three "F"s that he has had to do this summer. However, he is now screwing around with that! I am soooooo frustrated!!!! I don't know what to do. I know that the more I try to get him to take things more seriously, the more he pushes back and gets mad. I'm not a softy and it usually ends in big blow up arguments. This isn't good for our home. Does anyone have experience with motivating a seemingly unmotivated child?
  • 08-05-2012 11:42 PM In reply to

Re: Trouble

I know how you must be feeling and what you are going through. I too had an experience like this. My cousin brother had the same problem, as your son is having. Well, first let me tell you before trying out anything new on your son, it is important that you must bring changes in yourself. Try to be a little patient with your son. You need to understand what he wants to do. If has less interest in studies, then find out what he likes to do most. Don't be after him all the time. Give him his space, and as time passes by make him understand the importance of studies. Motivate him, in doing what he is best at. Its important for him to get back his confidence. Generally, students who see failure at a young age seem to lose their confidence and they completely get into their own shell. It is necessary for you to talk to him, make him confortable and also assure him that you are with him all the time.

I am sure that these advices would be of some help to you.

http://www.1to1tutor.org
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007