in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Pen Pal for 8 year old boy

Last post 12-01-2011 10:54 AM by soapmom. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2011 11:09 PM

Pen Pal for 8 year old boy

Howdy! I am very new to homeschooling and have been a homeschool mom since September of this year... only a few months ago! I have been very excited and very tired and weary at the same time. It has been an incredible journey so far and I am loving it every step of the way. But, unfortunately I have a little 8 year old boy who HATES to write. Every now and then he will write when he is really wanting to record something he has accomplished - and write about it in his "secret" journal (shhh!).

I also put together a Nature journal so he can record and draw the constellations, moon, weather, birds, plants and others that fascinate him and encourage him to write. I think it would be so cool for him to have a pen pal his age to write actual letters to! This would excite him greatly! If anyone is interested in writing to my Jadon, let me tell you a little about what interests him.

He likes Pokemon, reptiles, DINOSAURS, cats, dogs (well, animals in general!), archaeology - mostley dinosaur bones and mummies, Pokemon, drawing Pokemon monsters and making up his own, the computer game called Spore, and... did I already mention Pokemon?

These are just a FEW things he loves and I'm sure he would love to communicate with another kid who loves any of the same things and to be introduced to new and exciting things!

We live in the United States in the state of Wisconsin. Thank-you. 

Starla

• 11-30-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

Re: Pen Pal for 8 year old boy

Hi Starla --

Wow!!  We just started this September also!  My son is 8, LOVES POKEMON, and is in 3rd grade!  I would love for him to have a friend to write to. We just moved from Crystal Lake, Illinois (outside of Chicago) to Texas on September 2nd!!  My husband is from Wisconsin!  I'm trying to figure out ways to get my son to write too, and also, ENCOURAGEMENT!!! 

Homeschool is not being such a wonderful experience for me!  He's fighting me most of the way, and HE WANTED to be homeschooled when we moved to Texas -- I'm ready to stop!  I'm actually visiting our local public school tomorrow because I don't know what else to do!  It's just a battle!!!  I'm having a hard time understanding how other parents get their children to do anything!!!!!!!!!  I don't know if it's me or his idea that being home is all fun and games and playing Pokemon on his DSi constantly.  If you have, or anyone has any pointers before I throw in the towel, I'd sure appreciate them! 

Yesterday I was in tears for a couple hours because I was at the end of my rope, just exhausted and defeated!  I'm hearing all these wonderful stories from books and other homeschoolers (that give me strange looks when I ask for advice for just getting my son to do the work), that I'm believing they're all not telling the whole truth!  Everyday is not rainbows and sunshine with kids just chomping at the bit to do more and more research on a subject, unencouraged by a parent!  Any help for this as well??  If I see no help or advice or encouragement or changes here at home, we're enrolling to start in January after Christmas break.  This goes against my innermost fiber and belief of public schools and homeschooling, but I'm truly not capable of the daily battles any longer -- his future is at stake.

Thanks much!  And the pen pal -- GREAT IDEA!!!  After that rambling, if you're still interested in letting them write one another, I'm more than happy to do it!  I have a pen pal actually of my own since I was 10 years old in Ireland, (I'm now 46), and had the opportunity to meet her in 1999 when we went there to meet her in person for our honeymoon!

I look forward to hearing from you and anyone with advice on how to make this work!

Thanks!

Frustrated and defeated in our new state of Texas -- Anne Marie

• 11-30-2011 6:00 PM In reply to

Oh... Anne Marie, you have made my day! I am from Texas!!!!!!!!!  I moved to Wisconsin in 2005!!!!!!  I am from little towns called Scurry and Kaufman - born and raised (about 45 min. away from Dallas). I don't too much know what to think about this Wisconsin weather still to this day!  I am so excited for this because I believe my Jadon would love to write your boy. Jadon is in 2nd grade now and I should be honest with you, NO it is not all well in homeschool but I never expected it to be. I am thrilled and excited every day because I love homeschooling, but Jadon, on the other hand drives me absolutley bonkers most of the day. It is NOT easy. I read a few books over the Summer before I decided if it was right for us. I decided and almost hyperventillated from fear and anxiety.

Jadon gets very distracted and I think he has some kind of attention disorder, I hate to "label" my child with any kind of disorder because I just don't believe in man-made medications. I find other ways to attract his attention. If we are working on a math and he doesn't understand and gives up trying, let me give you an example... we are working on this problem  28 - 32 = (I write the problems for him up and down so it is easier). After we subtract the 8-2, you then change the 2 into 12. I say to him "Jadon! look at that smaller number at the top! It's the evil number! We gotta change it to a bigger number by adding a 1 to it! Hurry!" He does a few spins around the floor ( he spins around all the time to express himself ) and he figures out the answer, with my help of course!

I try to make it as much fun as I can (If I have the energy!). The problem is, I have 4 kids and my youngest boy at age 5 is home with us so I try and join him in as much as possible. I am astonished at how much my 5 year old has caught on to all of these lessons! He knows how to count to 50, he can read simple words and he recognises all of the letters and numbers to 20, so far and he didn't before we began to homeschool. Timmy, my youngest is harder to keep in line then Jadon. Jadon just needs help with focusing. Sometimes I find myself yelling, so I get a grip on myself and take a few deep breaths and relax if I can and then start again. Some days we just do nothing but read books! He is reading a level 2 and that is good for his age, and this month alone he read 500 minutes with 31 books all by himself. I keep a reading log, journal, and EVERYTHING he does I keep. I have him a nature journal and a "secret" journal. He hates to write but when he writes in these journals he doesn't think he's working!

He thinks he is doing it for fun and I am recording it into the minutes for school we accomplish. He will think that he is writing to your son for fun, too! He is still writing several letters backwards so I am curious to know how well he will be writing with a pen pal at the end of the year. Just relax and try not to give up on this. That has crossed my mind as well... not because of the stress but because of the fear of me not doing a good enough job. I made a few goals for myself this year which included teaching Jadon and Timmy the alphabet in sign language. This is our FIRST year!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will not be perfect. I am wondering if I can post my email on here for you? I guess I'll try it.

habitationkitty@yahoo.com

• 12-01-2011 10:54 AM In reply to

I just re-read this message to you, Anne Marie! I sound so totally stupid... In that math problem I gave you it was wrong, it was 128 - 32. It was just an example of a problem we recently did together and I was trying to explain how I make it fun, for Jadon. I was in such a hurry to write this message for you. I told Jadon about your son and he is so excited to write to him and tell him what kind of Pokemon cards he has! I hope you consider Jadon as a pen pal?

Thanks,

Starla

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Home School, Inc 2007