in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Homeschooling a dyslexic child

Last post 06-08-2011 6:55 PM by schternli. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2011 3:12 PM

Homeschooling a dyslexic child

Anyone out there have any advice or help with how to homeschool a child with dyslexia? My daughter is in 3rd grade and has always struggled with reading and a few other skills. I got her tested and she has dyslexia. The test showed her to be on the severe end of the spectrum. What do other parents do to help this problem? She is very bright and really super at math and excellent in art-- draws well beyond others her age (better than most grown-ups). She has a great work ethic and loves projects and is excited when she gets to do research and put things together (ie for science fair). The trouble is she gets so tired when it comes to reading and thinking that I don't want to make her loose her spark and excitment for school with boring or too hard work. So any suggestions or websites or curriculum would be helpful. Thanks!!!!

• 05-28-2011 6:57 AM In reply to

Re: Homeschooling a dyslexic child

A number of parents have tried the Barton method to teach decoding skills. It is based on the Orton Gillingham approach as is Wilson.http://www.bartonreading.com/

I also suggest you post at at http://millermom.proboards.com/index.cgi? .There are a number of members that have children with dyslexia and some that home school.  

online school
  • 06-08-2011 6:55 PM In reply to

Re: Homeschooling a dyslexic child

Hi Princess Lea. :) My advice comes from growing up with a father that was (and is) severely dyslexic. For him, the key is to read for short periods of time, and listening to audio, as they read, can really, really help. If you get a little tape recorder (cheap at Walmart) and record some of her reading work and then give it to her so she can read along, it will help her eyes and her mind to make more sense of the letters. I have a daughter that needs some extra help, too, and to keep the spark, we listen to a lot of books on tape while she plays. That drives her to read more. Best of luck--let us know how things are going!! *Becca
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Home School, Inc 2007