in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Mom of a 13year old girl with Bipolar

Last post 11-04-2010 11:39 PM by angicpa. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-29-2010 9:55 PM

Mom of a 13year old girl with Bipolar

My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with Bipolar over a year ago.  She has been through 2 schools because the teachers will not work with her.  She refuses to do home work, lies, has mood swings, refuses meds, etc.

I am now homeschooling her and it has been a struggle to get her to do the work.  It has only been 3 weeks and her pyschiatrist is starting her on abilify. He has even said she is blaming everyone for her illness and is very argumentive and defient.

Am I the only homeschool parent that is dealing with this?  I feel so alone and I have no one to help me with her.  Any suggestions on a curriculum?  I am trying Seton Catholic Home School and AOP computer program.  She does not like either one.  HELP

Filed under: ,
  • 11-04-2010 11:39 PM In reply to

Re: Mom of a 13year old girl with Bipolar

My daughter was also diagnosed at 13. She is 28 now. Your post brings back a lot of memories. She behaved very much the same way you describe. I know you have already made the decision to homeschool.....I did too eventually. My daughter had an IEP while she was in public school. The school is REQUIRED to accomodate your daughter. I was overwhelmed and let them push us around until I finally figured I could not do any worse for her by homeschooling, at about 16. I'm sorry I can't think of any specific advice right now. She fought me with the homeschooling too. All I can do is empathize and let you know that with persistant therapy, trying different meds, and finally maturity, she did get her GED and took some college classes. But is was h-e-double L for some years.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007