in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Time Management

Last post 04-20-2008 4:03 PM by AKmaggie. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-20-2008 3:59 PM

• Mack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-18-2008
    • Posts 1

Time Management

It has taken me awhile to find the right formula. My wife's schedule has been part of the problem, she is a nurse and works 12 hour shifts, her rotation is 3 days on, 2 off, then 2 on and 3 off. I am the stay at home dad, and I try to give Rita and James their time on her days off. We started home schooling him last spring. There are quite a few people in our area that home school, so the availability of material has been great. I have found most of the books that I use at yard sales. Recently I have found myself getting into a cycle of frustration, anger, guilt. My wife works hard and deserves a clean house, hot meal, and supportive husband to come home to. My son deserves a clean house, balanced meals, a good learning environment, and the time to just be a kid. We started a new thing this past month that seems to be doing the trick for all of us. Instead of getting up when we get up, my son and I get up by 7 am, we eat a light breakfast, and get right into the school day. Depending on the course work for the day we are done by 2 pm at the latest. I then pick up the house, and get ready for dinner. My wife and I both love to cook, but don't like to be tied to the kitchen. I will make a "Shepard's Pie", only takes about 45 mins. to make, and it reheats well. My son loves pizza, so on at least one day a week I make home made pizza. Making the dough only takes 15 mins. then it has to rise for 20 mins., then I roll it out, put it together, and bake it for about 15 mins., total time from start to table about an hour and a quarter. I use the time between each of the steps to load the dishwasher, or have a relaxing few moments. My son loves to help with the chores in the house. He keeps his room picked up, not imaculent, and he likes to help with the cooking, mixing the ingrediants, and putting the meals together. He also enjoys helping me load and unload the dishwasher. I hope this helps someone, I know just writing it has helped me to realize that, I am blessed with a wife that loves and supports me, and a son that is exceptionally helpful and loving.

Jim

• 01-22-2008 12:45 PM In reply to

Re: Time Management

Hi Jim!

It sounds like you are doing a great job at figuring out your time management.  Whatever works for you and your family is the right recipe!  While we homeschooling parents can end up wearing many "hats" (i.e. - teacher, parent, spouse, friend, coach,cook, driver, homemaker etc) it is really impt. that you not loose sight on all that you really are accomplishing.  We can often get caught up in the "perfection" of it all...when we feel as though we aren't being the perfect teacher/spouse etc.  Sometimes we can also get caught up in the quantity of what we do (i.e - assignments, activities etc.) that we are missing the most impt. factor - the quality!  Try to keep it in perspective and most importantly take care of you and your needs!  Maybe take some time when you are feeling like "I can't keep up" or "It's not enough" and write down what you have accomplished just like you did here in the forums or try a daily journal/log listing the day's accomplishments regardless of how big or small they may seem...it is still an accomplishment and you are working on goals/tasks. I think that you will cont. to realize the many positives. 

Utilizing PER will help you to keep track of homeschool accomplishments and can track your scheduling w/chores, community activities, sports,  field trips, outings etc.  You can keep a dialog running of things that you would like to discuss privately w/your wife re: your child's assignments/progress etc. via private school email...if possible she can check in while she is at work and the 2 of you can cover the basics and share concerns/joys privately.  When she gets home from work that part of the day has already been covered and you can spend your time doing other things.  Since you are both taking the role as teacher this will help to keep you both on the same page and work collaboratively together.

Keep your head up and know that you are not alone.  I think that every homeschooler at some point in time or another has had these feelings.  Most importantly take time for you and your needs! 

Best of Luck!

~hsiamy

~ hsiamy
    Filed under: ,
  • 01-24-2008 9:24 PM In reply to

• KayeT
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-14-2007
    • Posts 17

I applaud what you are doing. Great job and just think of all the valuable memories you are building with your son. It is not uncommon to get into the cycle you describe. I am raising my grandddaughter and homeschooling her and tutoring others and sometimes I find myself there too (frustration, anger, guilt). I wanted to go back to school and become a primary educator. I like the Shepherd's Pie idea if you ever get a chance please share the recipe. I love trying new dishes.
  • 01-25-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

I think it really helps to have a supportive spouse.  One who knows that what you are doing for the kids is the more important than the laundry being put away or having a few dishes sitting on the counter or a floor that needs to be vacuummed.  It's hard to stay on top of it all.   Then, on top of household duties, I kept finding that "errands" would take me out of the house all throughout the week and homeschooling was getting difficult.  It was just an hour or less each time, but still enough to disrupt a homeschool day.  I finally put my foot down and designated ONE DAY each week to errands, doctor/dentist appointments and all the things that would take me away from home.  Wednesday seems to be our errand day.  We work hard 4 days a week and just do one or two lessons on Wednesdays.  And we still have our "weekend."  I've also come up with chore-cards for my girls to help around the house.  They start each day with a (small) stack of chore cards and by the end of the day, all of their cards should be gone.  It helps me around the house, keeps me from repeating the same things each day like brushing your teeth and making your bed and gives them some responsibility as well... and they like the cards, to boot!  It's the little things that help with time. 

Oh, and for dinner... I love my crock pot!  :)

~Sarah

Sarah Smith
    ccnlaylasmom@msn.com
    Filed under: ,
  • 04-20-2008 4:03 PM In reply to

This is my experience: My husband and I are both  disabled with back problems. We both homeschool our boys, 8 & 11. Then the days we have appointments, nothing gets done. and we play catch up. Also, we each have a different way of teaching, and often argue about it. On days when we are in too much pain, the boys work on their own.  I wonder if I am doing enough for them ?  I have given ;up on housework, and we all do what we can, because i am not physically the person i used to be. My 11 yr. old misses having friends, but the rural schools in Alaska stink. (i was  raised in chicago schools) Maybe Im just being too hard on myself? But i feel im not doing enough. Can someone tell me how you "schedule" school work, and how to know when is enough and when is too little? It seems they ;are done in 1 or 2 hours, and  i dont think thats enough. I think it should b e

at least 4 to 6 hours. I use Calvert because its not lax, but i find it too much to keep up with. Thanks for letting me vent. I appreciate any feedback.

MaGGIE

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Home School, Inc 2007