in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Thankful for HS Lifestyle

Last post 12-16-2009 10:52 AM by pbnana. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-14-2009 12:23 PM

• mama4x
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-14-2009
    • Central Texas
    • Posts 3

Thankful for HS Lifestyle

Well, yesterday was the first day I worked in the fourth and fifth grade classes at my church. I was struck dumb- unusual for me- at a round of conversation the kids had with one another.

We were supposed to be talking about Solomon and wisdom, but we were jumping topics all over- Pearl Harbor, wasps, math, all sorts of things. The conversation that hit me was about the kid's afternoons and weekends.

I was pleased to hear that they only could watch tv on the weekends. I liked that they sat down and had a snack and a break when they got home from school. Then they began commiserating amongst themselves about how short their after-school break was, how they had to start in on their homework, and how they never got to play. Argh!

Of course, I didn't say anything, but I thought about how much free time my kids have to just enjoy themselves and seek their own interests. These kids just looked mournful. I felt awful. It was like parading your new shoes in front of someone who had to go barefoot.

I love that since we homeschool, we can get all the schoolwork done and have a lot of time for breaks. I am so thankful that my kids have time to be kids! I am so glad they can spend time doing what they think is fun and interesting and important!

Mama4x

http://mama4x.blogspot.com
  • 12-16-2009 10:52 AM In reply to

• pbnana
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-16-2009
    • Posts 2

Re: Thankful for HS Lifestyle

My kids also have lots of free time to just enjoy being kids without homework.  I hated their having homework that I couldn't help with because I didn't have all the background from their teacher that was necessary to "understand" the assignment.  How frustrating for me and them.  Now we homeschool and I love that when they have an assignment, I understand it because I assigned it.    They have lots of time in their day to play on the computer or outside (Wisconsin, brrrr).   We spend many hours at their new karate dojo making marvelous new friends (at least six families homeschool)  with no homework to think about as they work towards their 2nd degree black belt.  When it comes time for her first job there will be no homework to fuss about.  YesWink   Homeschooling has given us freedom.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007