in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

reading curriculum

Last post 02-12-2008 5:39 PM by kellyburke. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2008 9:03 AM

reading curriculum

I am new to homeschool. My child has a reading disability and auditory processing problems. She is a 7th grader and has a very average IQ. I have all of my curriculum except reading. I feel like I need a textbook or something with a guide with questions to build comprehension and other skills that go along with reading. She is very intimidated with long passages or stories and gives up quickly. If anyone has any suggestions on what would be best for her, I would appreciate it. I realize I will be pulling her back a grade level or two. 

• 01-20-2008 9:57 AM In reply to

Re: reading curriculum

You may be interested in AVKO products.  You can find them in the shop here at HSI.  Just type in AVKO in the search engine once you enter the shop and a list of products will pop up.  AVKO stand for Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic, Oral - it is a multi-sensory approach curriculum and they do have things for the upper grade levels.  They have a website if you want more info. re: their philosophy and materials.  Although, I can tell you personally that they charge more for some things than HSI does!  If you order via HSI shop you can also earn gold stars toward any other purchases made...so why purchase anywhere else?  Hope that helps.

Warmly,

~hsiamy

~ hsiamy
  • 02-06-2008 6:36 PM In reply to

Many kids who like lessons that are not intimidating use online or CD-based curriculum. It seems to be better for many reading and attention issues.   The current leader is either Switched on Schoolhouse (which had lead for years) or Time4Learning.com .   Switched on schoolhouse is CD-based.  Time4Learning is web based curriculum with a simple month by month arrangement.  Give them a try since signup is quick and with a full refund for two weeks. I used their money-bakc guarantee twice: once to see if I liked it for my younger kid (kindergarten) and then again for my 8th grader.

Their reading program is great.  Simple, sometimes funny, sometimes silly but it systematically takes the kids thru the curriculum of reading comprehension and vocabulary and reading fluency.  Also, you can switch grade levels at any time

• 02-12-2008 5:39 PM In reply to

Please read Why Our Children Can't Read by Diane McGuinness, and if you like what you are reading you may want to look into Reading Reflex by Carmen and Geoffrey McGuinness. These books bring great insight as to why children and many adults have difficulties and have very good solutions. They work for new readers and those needing remedial help.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Home School, Inc 2007