Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

16th birthday party ideas

Last post 08-31-2012 1:04 AM by littlemillennium. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2009 8:14 PM

16th birthday party ideas

My daughter will soon be turning 16.  I am at a loss as to what to do special for her.  Does anyone have some suggestions for a neat birthday party?

Thanks!

• 09-28-2009 7:56 AM In reply to

Re: 16th birthday party ideas

What are your daughter's interests?  Has she given you any clues?

You could check out Oriental Trading's website for some great party supplies.  You can look at all the themes to help you get ideas.

Personally, I love throwing parties.  But, to me, it's like anything else in life.  Know your customer and make the sell accordingly.  So start with the guest list before deciding a theme.  If grandma and Great Aunt Susie are coming, a hip hop theme probably wouldn't be a wise choice.

Second, get your budget together.   Start with a total dollar amount and then divide that number by 80% of the number of guests you plan to invite.  (Or choose a percentage of people you think will actually show up).   A super elegant sweet 16 party can run from $25 per guest to over $100 per guest in this day of crazy over-the-top parties.  If your budget works out to be $5 per guest, then trim your guest list.

Next, take your total budget and start dividing it by category, i.e. food, decorations, etc.  I always use a wedding planner budget when preparing big parties.  Sure some of the categories don't apply, but it's a good start.  Also, it will help you remember other expenses like outfit for the birthday girl.

Finally, pick a theme keeping your budget in mind.  A luau can be done a little cheaper, than say "a night on Broadway" theme.

Consider destination parties as well.  A guest list of 10 for a weekend out of town can be cheaper than a party at home with 75 people sometimes.  Do you live close enough to somewhere fun?

Let us know what themes your DD is interested in.  This time of year, a fall theme or winter wonderland theme is cute.  I even recently heard of a daytime kids party held in a dueling pianos bar.  So even normally adult venues could be options if the theme was right.

Mom to DD8 and DS28
    Using mostly A Beka

• 08-31-2012 1:04 AM In reply to

Re: 16th birthday party ideas

The obvious way to celebrate a sweet 16 is a with a party. Whether it's an elaborate event at a rented venue or an intimate gathering of friends at the house, you can't go wrong with a party. Seek ideas from the seasons. Planning a summer party? Make it a evening pool party complete with tiki torches, colorful lanterns, and a DJ for dancing. Planing a winter shindig? Turn your living room into a cozy ski lodge. You get the point. With teens it's all about who's there and having fun.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Home School, Inc 2007