in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

homeschool help

Last post 09-16-2009 5:23 PM by ajualee. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-07-2009 9:53 PM

homeschool help

I have homeschooled my children for a year and a half, and now am having trouble financing it (I'm sure a very common problem).  My husband has lost his job and I am having to face the reality that I cannot afford homeschooling my children any longer.  I never was good in school myself and without curriculum I honestly believe it would be a worse than placing them back in public school. I really regret having to do this because I have a religious conviction to homeschool my children, and also the relationship that has grown between my children and myself has been  a once in a lifetime opertunity.  I don't want to give up, any suggestions.  My son is 9 and my daughter is 11.  Thank you.

• 07-23-2009 2:35 PM In reply to

Re: homeschool help

There is a ton of free/cheap curriculum available out there, if you're willing to put in the time to find and organize it.  When you pay the big bucks, you're mostly paying for someone to do all the footwork for you.. but it isn't absolutely necessary.  It's just a huge time and headache saver, IMHO.

The library is most definitely the place to start, as well as local homeschoolers.  You could check your local public school for used textbooks they're getting rid of, and there are numerous used curriculum sites, as well.

• 09-07-2009 1:43 PM In reply to

Agreeing with the other reply...  You can homeschool for very little if you utilize the internet and the library. 

You can find and print/copy tables' of contents to use as 'spines' to make sure you cover the major topics. Then you can find free, printable worksheets and videos on the internet to flesh it out.  They are ALL OVER the place - just 'google' the subject along with 'free' or 'printable'.  Check out the History Channel on-line.  You can find lots of great educational stuff on YouTube, too, just make sure to preview it

If you can spare the $$, I'd use that on good math and science curricula - even if you have to buy used textbooks somewhere (like from amazon, ebay or garage sales). You might even look into a co-op.  Sometimes if you teach, you can get your kids in at a discount.

I''ll give you some links to get you started.  Good luck - hang in there.

http://children.calvarychapel.com/site/curriculum_n.htm

http://www.homeschoolers4christ.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=465

• 09-09-2009 1:50 AM In reply to

I have a friend who is homeschooling her 5th grader and she is doing it through the public school for free. All they need is a computer. He gets lessons and assignments from their websites. They send him the materials he needs for science etc. My friend felt that she had plenty of freedom in schooling him, but it was all laid out for her. So look online for homeschooling through the public schools or call your local school. Most districts are not as put off by homeschoolers as they once were. The district gets to count you child as a student for funding but don't have to do much to teach them. My friend's son does have a teacher he can call for help when he is stuck. All this to say don't give up on homeschooling. There are other ways out there to make it work. Hope this hhelps. 

• 09-10-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

I know this is a little late but one EXCELLENT free resource for math and reading is MindSprinting. http://www.mindsprinting.com

It has assessments to help gauge your children's individual academic levels (against both national and state requirements), free printable lessons and it helps keep record of how your students are doing. I used it when our finances were a little rough. I will admit it is a bit of a pain to have to print everything off but it is definitely worth it.

Filed under: , ,
  • 09-16-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

Hi,

If you are looking for some video and audio supplements to what you are teaching, www.powermediaplus.com may be of some help to you.  Most of the video and audios have teacher materials to help you out. 

Be encouraged, just think, so many of our Founding Fathers were homeschooled out of the family Bible and borrowed books....

Blessings and keep on keeping on...

Kit in the MItt

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Home School, Inc 2007