in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Higher math (geometry and algebra II) curriculum for 8th Grader; Jacob's math curriculum or Teaching Textbook series; Where can I find a challenging homeschooling curriculum with emphasis in literature and composition?

Last post 09-09-2009 1:44 AM by princesslea. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-07-2009 7:02 PM

Higher math (geometry and algebra II) curriculum for 8th Grader; Jacob's math curriculum or Teaching Textbook series; Where can I find a challenging homeschooling curriculum with emphasis in literature and composition?

Is anyone familiar with Jacob's math curriculum and the Teaching Textbook series?  Or does anyone have good recommendations for a strong higher math curriculum?  

This will be my first year in homeschooling.  I have an eighth grade son who just finished alegebra I at a Department of Defense school.  He is a fast learner in math.  I'm thinking about having him do geometry and algebra II together.  Do you think that that is too much?

Also, I'm searching for a challenging curriculum for my eighth grader as well.  He is a little weak in his writing so I'm looking for program that will help him improve in his English and writing.

Any advice that I can get will be greatly appreciated.

KC

Filed under:
  • 07-23-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

Re: Higher math (geometry and algebra II) curriculum for 8th Grader; Jacob's math curriculum or Teaching Textbook series; Where can I find a challenging homeschooling curriculum with emphasis in literature and composition?

We have enjoyed Math-U-See for our math, mostly because of my middle son, who is LD.  My oldest seems to do pretty well with just about anything, and he's used MUS Algebra I and understood it well.  Next year he has Geometry, and then Algebra II.  I personally wouldn't combine them..

For Literature, we like the Smarr Publishers Literature classes.  They are heavy on composition and writing, but they assume a lot of pre-existing ability in writing.  For the basics, we like Institute for Excellence in Writing.

• 08-07-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

• lizzyw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2009
    • Posts 1

Re: Higher math (geometry and algebra II) curriculum for 8th Grader; Jacob's math curriculum or Teaching Textbook series; Where can I find a challenging homeschooling curriculum with emphasis in literature and composition?

I am not familiar with those math programs but my daughter is advanced in math as well, we use Abeka. She skipped 5th and 7th grade books because I thought they were too repetitive. She's in 8th grade now and will do Algebra 1. I was an advanced math learner as well, in high school I took Algebra 1 in my freshman year, then advanced algebra 2 and advanced geometry in my sophomore year. (since I took the 2 together, geometry was only a half credit, I had it three times a week or half a year?) Junior year I had trig and senior year I had calculus. I know it seems like a lot but if you child can truly handle it with NO PUSHING, I say go for it. Some kids just get it and can do it fast. My daughter is weak in writing and spelling as well, I guess they just can't have it all. Good luck with the school year. I hope I helped. Lizzy
  • 09-09-2009 1:44 AM In reply to

My sister homeschooled five teenagers and they are in AP classes (at the public school). They are way ahead of the other students in English and they 

used Abeka all the way through for English.  One is in college and he says that writing and grammar are a breeze for him and he doesn't 

even like grammar! He is more into math. The math she used all the way through their homeschooling was Bob Jones (she has two still in it).

Those are my suggestions. They both have websites. Check them out. Hope this helps. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Home School, Inc 2007