in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

This Algebra, Trig, Geometry stuf is over my head!

Last post 01-19-2008 1:19 AM by TracyRed. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2008 11:07 PM

This Algebra, Trig, Geometry stuf is over my head!

We began home schooling our kids in Kindergarten until 5th grade. At that point we decided to send them on to public school. What a mistake! They are now in High School. My Sonis in 10th and my daughter is in 9th. We have now decided to pull them back out and complete thier education at home. What happened to 2+2??? I have some workbooks another homeschooling family in our area donated to us and wow, I do not know how I graduated HS myself after reviewing this stuff. Does anyone know of a good website to bring a parent up to speed so we can atleast teach a lesson confidently?

God Bless all of you and keep the faith!

Dave & Marie

• 01-08-2008 10:47 PM In reply to

Re: This Algebra, Trig, Geometry stuf is over my head!

edhelper.com is a great website for about anything.

• 01-08-2008 10:51 PM In reply to

edhelper is the best website i have found.  hope it helps. 

• 01-09-2008 4:19 AM In reply to

• ACE
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-09-2008
    • Posts 1

In our family we use Saxon books for math. In addition, we have purchase the DIVE CDs that are available. They are very good in that the kids can watch a "whiteboard" presentation and listen to a lecture that explains every lesson in the book. My kids are ages 7, 10, and 13. The 13 yo is doing Saxon Algebra 2. The CDs have been especially helpful for my 13 you because I don't feel confident enough with my math anymore to be able to teach Algebra 2. Another thing we have just started looking into is Riverdeep's Destination Math. It is an online program that is available for homeschoolers. We are doing a free 30-day trial right now and the kids really like it. It goes up to Algebra 2. I've been told that homeschoolers can get the program for $200 a year. The usual school price is $499. Another option is to look at http://www.totallyfreemath.com/math.html. This is a free Algebra 1 book. I haven't looked it over but it's recommend on a gifted student website. Also try MIT Open Courseware at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/home/home/. I can't seem to remember the name of another one right now. If I can find it I'll post here again. Stephanie
  • 01-09-2008 6:59 AM In reply to

Dear Dave and Marie,

Welcome to the adventure!  I admire you.  This will be an exciting time for you and your family.

Algebra is an incremental subject.  That means you can't jump around from topic to topic like you can in science or other subjects.  It would be best to settle on a program and stick with it.  My favorite is www.teachingtextbooks.com, but many people say it's too pricey.  You can often find used Saxon Math books, then supplement it with the teaching CDs located at www.diveintomath.com.  They are excellent.

As for free, here are some ideas to get you started:

www.coolmath.com

www.mathbits.com

www.freealgebralessons.com

www.oldfashionededucation.com - look in the arithmetic section.

I hope these ideas help.  Write again if we can help with anything else!

christinefield

• 01-19-2008 1:19 AM In reply to

This is my first year homeschooling my 5 children ...the saxon math was not working as the kids were not jumping into it..... a quick prayer and some research brought me to math-u-see -switched and instantly all 5 were doing the math on their own. They don't work at the grade level they start with what they know (placement test) so that they don't miss any concepts the dvd's explain alot my kindergarden daughter is flying through she is actually learning place value in the primary starting book. My 14 year old started with the pre-algebra and is working on his own-so I don't think we parents have to be scarred of math(I failed gr 10 math myself) I just realized that I hadn't been taught the way I needed to learn. I'm definatly learning now. Tracy:)
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Home School, Inc 2007