in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Support?

Last post 04-22-2009 3:24 PM by Minniewannabe. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-19-2009 12:57 PM

Support?

Hi everyone,

I am a single mom of a wonderful almost 7yr old boy.

He has always been pretty energetic and can throw a tantrum with the best of them....

He has started having difficulty concentrating at school - says he is bored so I am pulling him out and will be homeschooling him to see if that helps.  His teacher suggested we get him tested for ADD, but when we went to the pediatrician, he just said we would start him on meds and see how that went. 

Well, I am not prepared to drug up my kid so we haven't been back....

I would really appreciate any suggestions, support - especially from local parents in Tarpon Springs, FL

Would love to hear ideas about schedules, curriculum etc...

Thanks!

Filed under: ,
  • 03-19-2009 1:51 PM In reply to

Re: Support?

Hi! I am homeschooling my 6yo ds (and 2yo ds). My 6yo has a lot of energy, too. I often wonder how he would have done in kinder, but he does very well at home where he can run around during his breaks. I have a friend whose little guy goes to private school. In first grade the teachers suggested he might have ADD. She ended up making dietary changes, which helped him a lot. She has found that if he eats dairy or very sugary foods, he has a very hard time controlling himself and sitting still (and keeping his hands to himself). Have you looked at any curriculum yet? Do you know how your kiddo learns best? Do you know if you want a religious or secular curriculum? A lot of the curriculums have tests/questionnaires to help with placement and choosing the appropriate level. We went with Moving Beyond the Page because when I was researching I felt their philosophy fit with our goals. I have found that it isn't a great fit for ds, though, and we will be switching to something that is even more literature based (MBtP is somewhat literature based). We use RightStart Math and have been very happy with it. It is geared toward establishing an understanding of math, and it uses manipulatives and games for reinforcement of ideas. DS loves it. I use Catholic Heritage Curriculum for our reading, spelling and religion. We also do a lot of reading on our own, and ds reads Bob Books, *** and Jane books and other early readers. We school in the morning and begin between 8:30 and 9:00 and are done by 11:30 or 12:00. I work in the afternoons. Afternoons for the boys are filled with running errands with Daddy and exploring and playing. A lot of learning happens during that "unschooling" afternoon format. If you haven't already, you may want to head over to www.homeschoolreviews.com and check out the reviews of the different curriculae. You might want to post this question on the "homeschool discussions" forum. I found that extremely helpful when I first started. Good luck on this new adventure. I look forward to hearing what you decide to use! Smile
  • 04-22-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

Re: Support?

Welcome!  Big Smile

Mom to DD8 and DS28
    Using mostly A Beka

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Home School, Inc 2007