in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Special Needs: ADD

Last post 04-21-2009 8:19 PM by KingsJester. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2009 3:17 PM

• Margo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-09-2009
    • Posts 1

Special Needs: ADD

Can anybody give me some advice on how to help my son when he loses attention with any writing work. He takes hours to complete simple writing tasks and I get frustrated. He is 9 years old. We have only recently started homeschooling and are in our 9th week, and I do not know what to do. We have lots of hands on activity, which he enjoys, but I do feel he has to do some writing and comprehension work. Or am I wrong? Please help!!

• 04-21-2009 8:19 PM In reply to

Re: Special Needs: ADD

My 10 yo son is ADHD, along with other learning disabilities.  One thing that worked for us was a form of behavior modification.  I started homeschooling him when he was 5 yrs old and could only hold his attention for less than 5 minutes at a time.  I got a kitchen timer and set it for 5 minutes.  When the timer went off he was allowed to get up and run around or jump on an exercise trampoline for 5 minutes, then back to sitting for 5.  We gradually increased the time.  Now he can stay focused for about 2 hours at a time.  One of the great things about homeschooling is being able to modify your techniques to fit your child.

Katrina

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007