in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Day 3 and I've got a question

Last post 02-27-2009 12:03 PM by Linabean. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2009 12:04 PM

Day 3 and I've got a question

My dh and I pulled our 7yo 2nd grader out of school last week and I started homeschooling him on Monday. Just background-no problems with teachers or bullies, or grades even, but we felt he was in no way performing up to his potential. I'm just wondering if I'm doing enough. Today as an example, we did 3 math worksheets, he wrote a letter and did 2 language arts papers on questions/exclamations, we looked at how chocolate is made on the field museum web site and he read me a book aloud and we baked cookies. That only took 3.5 hours. He's just outside riding around on his bike right now. He has two younger sisters here at home (4 sibs at school) but one sis is napping and one is painting. Do I need to do more? He did what I had scheduled but it seems like he gets lots of time to fill. And no he wasn't interested in painting, legos, lincoln logs, clay , puzzles, etc. You get the idea. Does he need more or is this just the efficiency of home schooling. Oh, and he has done his chores already.
  • 02-27-2009 12:03 PM In reply to

Re: Day 3 and I've got a question

Hey, good for you! You made a brave decision!  I have been homeschooling my 1st grader and preschooler ,with a two year old girl in the mix, since Sept.  It sounds as though you are doing great.  You need to keep in mind that the one on one teaching you are providing will enable you to cover a lot of ground in a relativley short period of time.  Also, everyday may not be this efficient.  He may  run into a concept that is a total "roadblock" for him and he may need to spend extra time on this one area before you feel that he is able to move ahead.  So, while he is doing well, go for it!  Then, if and when you come to a point that you need to spend extra time with, slow down and don't worry about it!  It may also help to cover more area within each subject if you concentrate on one subject a day.  For example: with my daughter, we have "everyday work", skills that she could use improvement on, math practice, memorization, journaling, calendar work, etc.. After this is done we pick a subject and that's all we do that day, I have found we are able to go into greater depth in the same amount of time.  We don't waste time " switching gears" so to speak.  So, on Monday's after the everyday work is done we work on language arts.  On Thursday's we work on social studies and geography. You get the idea. I find that this help's her to really get into it and think about it a lot more because she doesn't have any other subjects coming afterwards.  I hope this helps.  Blessings on your homeschool experience!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007