in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Help getting started

Last post 03-11-2009 10:29 PM by theboysmomma. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-21-2009 12:51 PM

Help getting started

Hello!  Our family is considering home schooling after this current school year ends.  My 1st grader would do it now and my 6th grader hasn't decided for sure yet.  My biggest concern is affording curriculums for 2 children and making sure they are socialized because they are both very friendly children!  Also, what curriculums would anyone recommend?  My 1st grader is a really strong student and my 6th grader struggles in a few areas (math, spelling, punctuation, grammar, handwriting - his elementary school didn't do a very good job of teaching these!), but he is smarter than he thinks and works well one on one.  I want to be able to set a schedule and stick to it, but we also have a newborn, so, ha, we'll see!  Any advice on getting everything ready would be greatly appreciated!  THANK YOU!

• 02-12-2009 10:51 PM In reply to

• teama
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2007
    • Posts 17

Re: Help getting started

Have you looked at the Quick Start packages that are on this site? They are very reasonable.

You nay also want to look at the section for new homeschoolers it has a lot of good information about getting started.

Hope this helps.

• 02-27-2009 9:15 PM In reply to

With the exception of a few things like math and spelling books, most of the other items can be purchased second hand like on Ebay or homeschool book swaps. Another option would be to borrow items from your local library. Check to see if they have special borrowing statuses for home educators. There's lots of free stuff on the web too.

Socializing was the issue we were cautious about when we first started. You can create opportunities for your children through religious activities, scouts, sports clubs-there are faith-based and/or non-school based ones out there, homeschool co-ops, homeschool group outings, and whatever else you can think of.

Because kids aren't pressured to move from one subject to the next or keep up with the demands of a teacher's required teaching objectives, kids actually have a better experience with socializing because they are allowed the time to socialize.

I hope this helps.

• 03-11-2009 10:29 PM In reply to

i have found so much stuff on the internet for free....my son is going into kindergarten and i homeschooled in preschool...there is so much on line just google free homeschool and you will be overwhelmed lol good luck

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Home School, Inc 2007