in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

In A Tail-Spin...

Last post 01-03-2009 6:33 PM by hsiamy. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2008 9:34 PM

In A Tail-Spin...

Hi! my name is Sharon and I am in the 1st year of  home-schooling my 7yo and whew it has been something... I feel like we are all over the place, that sometimes I don't know if I'm coming or going... I need a better handle on things and more consistency... Can someone please help me to become more grounded and settled with this home-schooling experience? WE need ALL the help we can get....

P.S.

My son is also involved in cub scouts, basketball and in the process of completing his first music CD.... I may have bitten off more than I can chew...HELP!!!!

• 01-03-2009 6:33 PM In reply to

Re: In A Tail-Spin...

HI there Sharon,  I would like to offer some support to you.  The first yr. can often be the toughest.  This is a yr. of just trying to figure it all out.  Everything from understanding homeschool laws/requirements, joining clubs, field trips, making new friends, finding curriculum and homeschool methods, planning, journaling, teaching, understanding learning styles, etc.  It can be overwhelming!  How do homeschoolers do this?!?

First, Take a deep breath and try to just be in the moment with this experience...even when it seems overwhelming.  You reached out for support and have found it here at HSI!  Keep on reaching out.  HSI is here to help with all of your homeschool needs.  Read the Columns, post in the forums etc.  Find some local support if you can too.

If your schedule is creating stress it may be time to limit the activities.  Many homeschoolers like to use a block schedule (blocks of time in 30 min. segments or whatever works for your schedule).  Keep asking around how others handle their schedules etc.  It's often helpful to remain realistic with our expectations.  Each homeschool experience is personal and unique.  There is no right or wrong way to do this.

Best Wishes

~hsiamy   

~ hsiamy
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007