in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Anyone familiar with Dr. Ross Greene - Collaborative Problem Solving Techniques?

Last post 10-21-2010 7:58 PM by cjm. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2008 12:18 PM

• a
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2007
    • Posts 21

Anyone familiar with Dr. Ross Greene - Collaborative Problem Solving Techniques?

Has anyone read Dr. Ross Greene's book -"The Explosive Child" and the concepts behind Collaborative Problem Solving for neuro-challenged children?  If so what do you think of it?  Do you utilize the techniques and what are your results?

~a

• 09-17-2008 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: Anyone familiar with Dr. Ross Greene - Collaborative Problem Solving Techniques?

Yes, I am very familiar.  I've read his books, have the cd and not only heard him speak, but have been to his clinic outside of Boston.  Our entired education system should be rooted with his philosophies about how to deal with children. Whether a chlild has a "thing" - whatever neurological or physical disorder or none at all, every brain is wired differently.  While it takes a lot of work to become proficient at how to use his language and how to really implement his strategies, using his methodology as a base it is absolutely worth the effort.  I'm waiting for his group to start establishing schools that utilize his model.  The mantra I use and his believers cling to is the truest statement about children every made: "CHILDREN DO WELL... IF THEY CAN".  Children do not wake up in the morning and say, "Gee, how can I mess up my life today.  I hope I can get expelled.  And it sure would be nice to tick off mom and dad today?"as most school districts think and act upon.  We need to help them help themselves and see how to Problem Solve by collaboratively working with them to teach them strategies, how to hear and process information differently and how to take care of themselves.  We don't help our kids by doing it for them or making excuses for them.  Children (as with any adult really) WANT to do well.  Our job as parents - and certainly the job of educators, although there are few out there - is to help children succeed so that they are productive and decent human beings and members of society.  So yes, in answer to your question (forgive my pontificating, but having been masacred in our school district - hence my now homeschooling - I am pationate about this): yes, I am familiar with Dr. Greene and his wonderful partner Dr. Stuart Ablon and would go to hear them speak at any time if it were local enough (best presentation on ANYTHING I've ever heard in my life), would read anything they've written, would listen to any cd or watch any video they suggest or are apart of.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.  Christine V

• 09-18-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

• a
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2007
    • Posts 21

Re: Anyone familiar with Dr. Ross Greene - Collaborative Problem Solving Techniques?

Thanks for your input!  I absolutely love the concepts that Dr. Greene suggests and his theory.  I would love to hear him speak...maybe one day.

~a

• 09-18-2008 1:26 PM In reply to

You probably know already, but he has a great website, too. Center for Collaborative Problem Solving  www.ccps.org  It lists his and Ablon's schedule.  You would also love EVERYTHING out of the mouth of Dr. Mel Levine.  www.allkindsofminds.org  another genius who actually "gets it" and tries to tell these school districts how to do the right thing.  Good luck.

C

• 07-01-2009 7:29 PM In reply to

• drlcat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-02-2009
    • Posts 2

DR Greene's collborative approach relies on parental involvement, which brings his theory back to what I believe is most relevant when it comes to children's development and emotional needs. RELATIONAL APPROACHES to behavior modification are most effective and regardless of the theoretical label, coercive, collaborative, whatever...it's all relational. These are not new ideas. Applying them effectively is, though. We need providers who can remain consistent in communication and relationship with both parents and children for this to work. Establishing a positive relationship with the caregiver as well as the child is a daunting task, but worth the effort! Let me know if you want to talk more about effective relational approaches, which have been proven with research to be most effective as change inspiring.  
  • 07-01-2009 7:35 PM In reply to

• drlcat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-02-2009
    • Posts 2

School Districts can only do what parents allow them to do. Geene's collaboraive approach calls on parental involvement, so Districts struggle to get this. I know we are the choir here, and we would do what it takes, but many Districts cannot bridge the gap well if parents are not involved. The question and challenge is getting them involved! RELATIONAL approaches work to establish this collaboration between parent and schools. Think about what makes homeschooling work...it's focusing on relational strengths. Districts need to do the same. DR LC

• 10-21-2010 7:58 PM In reply to

• cjm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-21-2010
    • Posts 1

I am very familiar wih his approach. While these techniques may have some benefit with older children (13+) they should absoluley not be used with younger kids.

The biggest problem that I have with Collaborative Problem Solving is that it's base, "Children do well if they can" (not if they want to) is fundamenally invalid. The idea that there is an intrinsic motivation lurking inside us all and that if we have the skills to do well, we will do well is, almost obviously, false. Without getting into questions such as, “what does it mean to do well?” or “Is your ‘well’ my ‘well’?”- let’s look at this from a very straight forward example:

If Billy can read Billy will read the book.
    Billy can read the book
    Billy will read the book...right?

Now do all of the Billy’s out there always read the books that you the caregiver ask them to? Of course not! Now the Ross Greene follower would say, "well Billy has some other skill deficits that are getting in his way and once these are addressed then he truly can read the book and then will".

Listen, I was “a Billy”, I could read and complete all of my homework just fine. However, I chose not to! I wanted to play video games instead. So that’s what I did. Why? Because my parents were afraid that if they confronted me (and because they learned this through my prior responses) I would explode.
    I’m not surprised that CPS is catching on like wildfire. After all, it’s the path of least resistance and that’s really what Human Beings desire. It causes less crises in the forefront and allows parents to except that this child has a form of disease that we must live with and this gives them a sense of peace and closure.
    Human Nature is not to do well simply because skill deficits are fulfilled. If this were the case we’d never see stories about the so many individuals that rise up from poverty and no education to success.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Home School, Inc 2007