in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Just Started

Last post 06-25-2008 10:37 AM by hsiamy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2008 1:52 AM

Just Started

Hi ladies and gentlemen, my name is Alicia.

• 05-11-2008 10:24 PM In reply to

Re: Just Started

Hello, my name is Amy.  I guess we are in the same boat being new here?  Are you new to homeschooling, too?

• 05-12-2008 3:58 PM In reply to

Hello Ladies,

I have been homeschooling forover 11 years now. I am here if you need to ask any questions. I may not know all the answers but I do know how to find out the answers.

I also work for a on-line homeschooling blog called "Homeschool blogger.com". We have a lot of information there also.

I love using this program for keeping up with our school year. I have used many different ways during the years, and I love this one.

Pat

Filed under:
  • 05-12-2008 7:30 PM In reply to

HI MY NAME IS DIANE

IAM STARTING TO HOMESCHOOL AND I LIVE IN PHILDELPHIA I WANT MAKE SURE I HAVE ALL MY PAPER WORK IN ORDER CAN YOU PLEASE ADVICE HE IS 12 AND PUT IN SPECIAL ED

THANKS A MILLON

• 05-17-2008 1:59 PM In reply to

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the world of homeschooling and welcome to HSI!  We are glad that you found us...we are here to help.  Because your child was previously placed in spec. ed. there are a few extra steps in completing the process.  First an affidavit must be notarized and turned in to the school district in which you live.  This states that you are planning to homeschool and you will be the primary teacher.  Second, goals and objectives for the school year must be approved and submitted.  A portfolio of your child's work will be needed for submission to the district at the end of the yr.  An evaluation will also need to be completed specifically by a Certified Spec. Ed. teacher.  Testing is needed 3,5,8th gr. and results must be included in the port.  I know it sounds like a lot to comply with it is really a matter of just doing it once and getting through the first year until you have the hang of it.  While PA is a more regulated state than most others it can be done!    Here a few links that will give specific info., forms etc.  Check them out!

Specific PA state laws on homeschooling can be found at www.pde.state.pa.us (search under home education) 

Another great resource (affidavit, examples of goals/objectives, specific PA state requirements re: spec. ed students, evaluator contacts etc.) can be found at www.askpauline.com  This is the best place to start in my opinion.  The law is broken down for better clarification and everything that you need is right there with lots of examples etc.

HSI has a great tracker that is helpful when it's time to submit the necessary documentation in your port.  Reports such as attendance logs, material and book logs, transcripts, report cards etc. can be included in your port and saved from year to year on HSI.

Best of luck to you!

~hsiamy 

~ hsiamy
  • 06-15-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

Hi  - I am starting Homeschooling as well.  I'm happy to have found this website. It seems as though there are multitude of experiences to draw from and share.

• 06-16-2008 1:20 AM In reply to

• 4mykids2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2008
    • bonifayfl
    • Posts 2

Hello my name is julie i am new at this i have a16 year old son and is about to drive me nutts cause of his grades in high school and in the  the 9 th grade and fail this year and claims that he though he col play around the first prt of the year and make it all up and pass and we all know how hard being a freshman is. but any way i thought that the only way for me to get a hold on things was to pull him away from his friends (cause that is the only reason ) to go to school. so i NEED HELP PLEASE  we live in north florida. 

hi my name is julie
  • 06-16-2008 1:28 AM In reply to

• 4mykids2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2008
    • bonifayfl
    • Posts 2

hi pat i just sent you a message and all info would be most helpful

i am also considering virtual school because money is very tight and i eei have to do this i dont want hm to quit like i did.

so what is your opinions. thank you and GOD BLESS YOU

hi my name is julie
    Filed under:
  • 06-16-2008 10:48 AM In reply to

• vvagt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-20-2007
    • Illinois
    • Posts 20

To Pat and all who are new to homeschooling,  

Welcome! I'm an editor here at this site and also a 16-year homeschool veteran.   Please know that you are supported.  Feeling rushed and as though you have to decide everything today is common for homeschooling parents.  But please know that you have time!   Even when we start during the high school years, there are so many possibilities.  See the top of all our pages for New to Homeschooling, and Homeschooling Resources.  You can also get help here in College Corner (about planning high school for college) and in our Columns.  Also in our Store, in the Learning Store, homeschoollegal.com, and homeschoolreviews.com., there is help for you.  

Know that no matter where you are in homeschooling, and no matter how old your kids, you do have time.  Start where your children are to figure what it is that they need right now.   Many adults who got through school, but didn't learn enough, re-start in adulthood.  You will be able to find the resources your children need.  And your children will benefit from having more time with their own parents.  Knowing that we don't need to feel rushed helps our doubts settle down, and not get in the way.   We truly wish you the best!!  Warmly, Virginia   

V
  • 06-18-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

Hi!

My name is Amanda. I'm 27 and I live in Ontario, Canada,and I have decided to begin Homeschooling my 26 month old daughter.

She is an only child, and I've stayed home with her since she was born. She's extreamly bright, speaks full sentences, can count to 10, knows the difference between  coins (loonie, quarter, etc..). She's like a sponge!

My question is...where to begin?!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!:) 

• 06-24-2008 2:45 PM In reply to

Hello there,

I just joined this website because I want to homeschool my girls who are going to 7th and 4th grade next yr, but I'm extremely overwhelmed by all of this. I don't know how to even choose a curriculum to use and or what websites to go into. I am a mom of four so we are on a budget and to top it off I do home daycare as well. I don't know when I'm going to have time to do it and if we will be able to afford it at all. Can you give me some guidence? I will greatly appreciate all of your imput. Thank you so much.

Filed under:
  • 06-24-2008 7:02 PM In reply to

I also just joined this site, but I have been homeschooling for the last 9 years. I am also a mom to 4  and on a budget .My advice is to give switched on schoolhouse by alpha and omega a try all of the work is on the computer (off line) using cds except extra reading and science experiments. It grades the work and does the lessons for you. It cost around 300.00 per grade ,but can be reused (your 4th grader can use the 7th grade in a few years) I hope this helps

• 06-25-2008 9:48 AM In reply to

Hi everyone,

I'm Marjorie Lock, Director of Curriculum and Educational Resources for Home School, Inc.  We are an authorized distributor of Switched on Schoolhouse and you can purchase it from our store.  A reminder, SOS is updated yearly by Alpha Omega so if you're reusing an earlier edition, you might want to make sure that it's covering everything you want to cover in that year.  The best way to do that is to check the scope and sequence with Alpha Omega.

Warmly,

Marjorie

• 06-25-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

Hi There,

Welcome to the world of homeschooling.  HSI is a great place to find all of your homeschool needs.  From curriculum purchases and educational manipulatives to free web-based planning (PER), HomeSchool Reviews (curriculum reviews), and HSI Legal.  Your homeschooling needs can be met.  By visiting Home School Reviews you can hear other homeschooler's curriculum reviews of a particular curriculum before you decide to purchase.  It is important that you are familiar with your state homeschooling laws.  This will help you decide which direction you need to take with your homeschooling journey. 

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can decide what your schedule will be like.  You can work it around your family and work needs.  Homeschooling does not need to follow a traditional school day schedule.  When you need to take a break, take one.  If evenings or weekends work better for you then try that.  If your children are independent learners then they can possibly take charge of some of their scheduling needs.  If they have a quiet area to work in while you are working your daycare they may be able to complete some independent work. Later when you have free time (possibly while the daycare children are napping) you could do guided work with them.  Keep in mind that education takes place 24/7...the world is a classroom!  If they are able to help run the daycare and participate in some of the activities that all counts as learning time.  Planning, arts/crafts, cooking, budgeting etc.  These are all activities that count as school.  Try to think outside of the school "box" and go beyond just paper, textbook, and pencil time.  Life experiences are educational.

Keep in touch with us here at HSI.  We are here to help with all of your homeschool needs.  Keep posting on the forums and make community connections. 

Best of luck to you!

~hsiamy     

~ hsiamy
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Home School, Inc 2007