in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Homeschooling the Steiner Way

Last post 02-23-2009 7:35 AM by Lisaanne. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-06-2008 2:18 PM

Homeschooling the Steiner Way

Hi!  I'm Gill and I am about to start the amazing and scary adventure of homeschooling my five year old daughter.  I plan to align myself to the Steiner Waldorf method and would really welcome any input from those who know what it's like to start out and anyone who is using/planning to use the Steiner method. Also how does a single parent achieve running a home at the same time?! All input and suggestiosn welcome!!

• 05-27-2008 7:54 AM In reply to

Re: Homeschooling the Steiner Way

Hi Gill I am currently educating four children (10,8,6 &2) at home so I know all about chaos and mess! hahaha my husband works 12 hr shifts to support our little "school" which leaves me with the job of running the home and school. No easy task but it is do-able.

• start lessons in the afternoon and do any daily housework in the morning.
    • write a menu for the month - get your child involved in designing it and play cafe
    • make tidy up time a game sorting colours, counting shapes, etc race each other to put 5 things away and offer a good reward like an extra story at bedtime
    • set aside 2hrs at the weekend to do admin and stick to it! (pay bills by direct debit)
    • shop online you will save money by not impulse buying and by using a menu you know exactly what you DO need.
    • make a maintainence list cleaning oven, washing woodwork, etc and try to tick off one item per week.
    • DON'T EVER compare yourself to "Mrs Perfect" her house is immaculate, her nails and hair are manicured, and she is bragging about her snotty brats ability to recite Shakespear's sonnets at 4 1/2! she has a cleaner! a nanny (who sleeps with her husband!) and get's rid of her offspringat every opportunity!

I hope this will help but the most important advice is if the house looks a little messy and you are knackered! don't panic it is perfectly normal to have a little clutter when you are homeschooling as long as you both enjoy the fun HS brings who cares about a little dust?? ;-)

ABOVE ALL HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR! Things will go wrong, you will wonder why you ever dreamt of home schooling, but for that little moment when you realise you have given your child the best gift possible YOU!!! Good luck!

• 06-01-2008 7:09 AM In reply to

Hi!  Thank you so much for your encouragement, and a lot of what you suggest is so helpful!  I just want to be able to -proved a good environment for my daughter to  learn in which is not too chaotic!  Trouble is, with there being only one child I try to get her to race with me to tidy up but she is going through the absolute refusal to help stage.  I often feel overwhelmed, and feel that i am ujst trying to keep the ouse liveablewith education coming second which is, as you pointed out, the wrong way round!!Do you foloow the Steiner c urriculum or do you have your own way of doing things?  I would welcome any further input you could offer.

Gill

• 02-23-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

Hi Gill! 

Congrats on your decision to Homeschool - pretty daunting isn't it!  Tongue Tied 

I am homeschooling my son, he is 15 and we have been adjusting since November '08, i say adjusting as being in State school has made him ill and I have found Steiner Education alot slower and at more of a gentle pace.

'How to fit in running a home at the same time' I had the same problem!  Confused                                                                                          

How I have worked this is to school from 9.30 til 2.30 and give myself 2 hrs a day til 4.30 to do housework, prep dinner etc, Its not easy!  It does help that with my son being an older child, can be given a task to complete pretty much unaided. We do have other days when we get lost in time and nothing is done. I have learnt in a short amount of time that my son's wellbeing and education comes before fluff on the carpet - you can imagine how manic the weekends are with cleaning etc!

I hope I have helped a little  Smile

Good luck Gill,

Lisa

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Home School, Inc 2007