in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

New to home schooling

Last post 09-28-2009 10:18 PM by WinGate. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2008 9:14 AM

New to home schooling

Hi my name is Rhonda and I am currently in the process of arranging homeschooling for my 10 year old boy.  He has attended public schools his whole life and has struggled with learning.  He was retained by my request in 2nd grade.  He has had IEP services at school until the 3rd grade.  I held him back thinking this would help him.  He is in 4th grade and is having anxiety and 3 migraines a month and is being treated by a doctor. He hates school and he stress himself out .   I also have him appointment for suspected ADD , not by the school board this time.  The teacher he has this year has been a total nightmare. The teacher says his handwriting is sloppy.  In the past he had a occupational therapist , speech, and limited ECE services.  He has had fine motor skill delays and expressive and receptive lanuage difficulities in the past .  He also stuttered for two year but thank god he grew out of this.   He  has no behavior issues, just learning issues.  He is not consistent with is work and has trouble following and remembering directions.  They are so worried about CAT SCORES that they are not teaching my child the fundamentals that he needs for the rest of his life.  The public schools have failed him my eyes and I am taking control as of now.  I am educated and I know I can do this. . I am going Monday and getting the papers to start.  When you pull a child out this late in the year is there anything I should know?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by me and my son.  I currently,  believe it or  not work for the school board and I will be home schooling my child in the evenings and during the summer because I am off.  Has anyone ever homeschool in the evenings?  I just want my child to be happy, too learn and to feel good about himself.

Thanks,

Rhonda   

• 04-02-2008 12:50 PM In reply to

Re: New to home schooling

It sounds like homeschooling will be ideal for your son.  I'm not sure what state you are in so I'm not sure what all your regulations are.  However, if you can, I would take the rest of the school year to 'deschool'.  Let him have some time to let go of the stress of school and remember the things he enjoys.  Do what you can to follow his interests without doing a formal curriculum for now.  Get a feel for how he learns best - does he need to see an example or watch a video, does he like to listen to audiostories, does he like to build and experiment, can he pay attention better if he can move around, swivel, or fiddle with something in his hands, etc.  Learning these things now will help guide your homeschooling path.  Read together and discuss the stories, watch movies and discuss the stories, let him build lego worlds and discuss their stories - whatever gets him talking and using those verbal skills to explain his thoughts (then the writing will come easier later). 

I do know people who homeschool in the evenings, weekends, and summers.  It is helpful if whoever is watching your son could take him to some things during the week.  Connect with your local homeschool groups and see what sort of things they offer.  Some will even have day-long co-ops where he could enjoy some fun classes with new friends.  They often have great field trips as well.  You might have to find a way to barter with other homeschool moms to help get him to some activities, but it is possible!

Good luck, keep asking questions, and have fun with your son!

Marti

• 05-01-2008 4:45 PM In reply to

• jenwen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2008
    • Posts 2

Hi, I'm new to home school as well, but the reason I'm considering it for my boys is because I had a little bit of a bad experience myself.  In elementary school I was thought be be at the gifted level and so for middle school they put be in this extremely advanced class.  Well, that was just not good for me, because all of the sudden instead of getting straight A's without any problems, I was getting D's and F's.  We had gone from being in elementary grammar books, straight to hgihschool level.  I was completely scared, because for the first time I didn't feel smart and I could barely understand what the teacher was talking about everyday.  Needless to say I had to go through this for the whole year, until finally I could elect to take on level courses again.  After that experience, my learning confidence was crushed and so instead of the stellar straight A student, I was a A-B occational C student.  I guess what I'm saying is, a child's confidence in themselves I think is almost the most important thing about learning.  If you can get him to a level that he feels comfortable, and then he starts feeling confident again, I think he'll be able to fly from there, especially when he can go at his own pace.  Every child should feel like they've got a talent at something, and then that interest kind of drives them to want to learn other things, so that they can be REALLY good at their interest.  Anyhow, it's still a very vivid memory for me, and I can totally relate to how your son must be feeling.  I wish I had been able to homeschool as a kid.  Good job for giving him the opportunity to try.

-Jenny W

• 09-28-2009 10:18 PM In reply to

Rhona how is this working for you?  I pulled my Joshua with Special Needs out last week after being expelled. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Home School, Inc 2007