in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Language Arts Please!!!

Last post 03-10-2008 10:35 AM by hsiamy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2008 3:18 PM

• tigris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-27-2008
    • Posts 2

Language Arts Please!!!

I am new to homeschooling.  We are going to start in the fall.  Right now is just to hectic.  I have been researching irriculums and we have decided that we want to use an ecclectic program.  When we were in Michigan, the kids were in a charter school that used Saxon math and Open Court for Lanuage Arts.  We know we want to use Saxon math.  The kids really responded to it.  But Open Court Reading is really expensive.  What is another Languare Arts system that works?  What we liked about Open Court was it incorporated spelling, grammar, writing, nad comprehension all in one program.  It was all realted to the same story in the textbook. 

We are also trying to find a science and history system that works.  My 10 year old is in advanced classes and my 6 year old has to repeat first grade for reading difficulties.  My 3 year old is going to start with the preschool / kindergarden sytems.  With that range, they will all move at different paces, but we would like to try to stay with one system that isn't going to be expensive. 

Any help please???!!!

• 02-28-2008 12:30 PM In reply to

Re: Language Arts Please!!!

I too am new at homeschooling. We are starting in the fall of 2008, and even though I am VERY excited I am also ver nervous! My 11 yr old uses Saxon Math in school right now and we thought about staying with that too. I am still in research mode!! I like this Open Court that you were talking about,where do you find that at? Is it online? My daughter loves to read and write stories so I am looking for something like what you described! You said you were in Michigan,where are you now? IN??If so I have som IN websites that I have found helpfull. Let me know and I'll forward them to you! Have you joined the yahoo homeschooling group yet? I just joined and its helped me a lot!

Hope I've helped out some, let me know if your in IN and I'll pass on those websites to you!

Ginny

• 02-28-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

• tigris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-27-2008
    • Posts 2

Now I am in NC.  The Open Court Reading system is through SRA / McGraw Hill.  It is very expensive though.  THere are several textbooks that go with it as well as decodable books and teachers books.  I priced for next year using 6th grade and 1st grade at $449 and that was without the decodable books and the teacher's books.  Also, I believe it only goes through 6th grade.  At least that is all I could find.  I have my son's kindergarden teacher from last year looking into what they are using at the charter school we were at and getting back to me.  If only I could afford private school......  I looked into the school I graduated from, and to put the three kids in next year with my discounts as alumni and multi child, it comes to 30k.  That's only one year.  The public schools suck here in NC, so we homeschool.  It is just finding the right cirriculum for the kids.

Filed under:
  • 02-29-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

LA can be tough to find.  You might look at www.k12.com or at Learning Language Arts through Literature.  We have used both and k12 is good and thorough but somewhat expensive.  My daughter found LLATL a bit boring and it is rather easy (many buy it a grade level high for that reason).  We have found better luck piecing together our own LA curriculum.  www.rfwp.com has great grammar, vocabulary, poetry, and writing books for grades 3 and up.  We've been using Sequential Spelling from AVKO and have joined a small group for literature discussion using Jr. Great books.  The Core Knowledge series also has good literature anthologies for elementary grades.  The book Deconstructing Penguins is a great guide to discussing children's novels.  Good luck!

• 03-02-2008 2:51 PM In reply to

I am new to the home schooling and plan to start in the fall of '08.  I live in NC too.  We use the Open Court at my sons school (which is private because of public schools).  I was planning on using that for him, but didn't realize the cost of it.  WOW.

Filed under:
  • 03-05-2008 11:52 AM In reply to

I am a one year homeschooler & still finding our way. I would reccomend The Welltrained Mind by Susan Wise she gives alot of good advice in each subject. My older 2 struggle with Math & Language so we keep it basic & simple with Time4learning.com . We are in a Story of the World Co-op for History & we use KONOS online as a Unit Study for Science& other activities. My daughter finished with Grammar/Language Arts ABEKA last year. We have also tried the AOP paces for Language as well. I have alot of friends that have reccomended Switched on Schoolhouse I am considering that for my daughter for Highschool next year. There is another liturature based curriculm I am considering  that will allow you to teach multiple levels I have drawn a blank at the moment I will look it up. I hope I don't confuse you I am still seeking the right path as well. God Bless

Laura/Texas

• 03-10-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

AVKO (Audio, Visual, Kinesthetic,Oral) offers a nice LA curric.  It uses a multi-sensory approach to learning and addresses all learning styles and abilities.  Choosing something like this will help to address each of your children's indiv. learning styles.  You can find AVKO products in the HSI shop!  Best of Luck and Happy Homeschooling!   

Warmly,

hsiamy

~ hsiamy
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Home School, Inc 2007