in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

How long?

Last post 02-19-2008 9:03 PM by EricaInTassie. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2008 9:03 PM

How long?

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering, if you use a "school structured" approach to homeschooling, how long are your scheduled lessons?

I ask because I decided to use a fairly "school-like" timetable for my 14 year old daughter, Liana, as she has been in public school for 10 years, and after 2 years at home will be going back to a similar structure (although in Tasmania, Grades 11 & 12 are much more flexible).  Basically, I set out 6 lessons of 55 minutes each, with 3 free periods a week (first thing Monday and last thing Friday).  Liana has 3 periods of each subject, one single and one double per week.  But for the past week and a half, these lessons have sometimes been far too long (even some singles), as we didn't have the proper resources yet.   They arrived today (it's just like Christmas!!), but looking through the kits from Distance Ed, I'm thinking some of them she's going to get through in about 2 nanoseconds...

I have been thinking that I should reduce the lessons to 30 minutes each, then for things like art prac and PE she can have a triple or even quadruple period.  I'm thinking that quality is better than quantity...  And then she will have either shorter days, or longer weekends - both of which, of course, are of great appeal to a teenager!

I would love to hear other people's opinions and experiences with this aspect of organising homeschooling - particularly people with teenagers, although anyone's input is more than welcome!

If anyone has a Myspace profile, please feel free to drop us a message or friend request.  My url is www.myspace.com/indigo_moon_ and Liana's is http://www.myspace.com/217368714

- Erica xo

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Home School, Inc 2007