in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

How young can a child be???

Last post 02-29-2008 12:42 PM by dragonpony. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2008 12:07 PM

How young can a child be???

I have a two year old who is curious and inquisitive and very active. I fear if I don't direct his energy into something creative he will run wild. Is he too young to start home schooling? What can I do to help him along. He can count to thirteen...we're working our way to 20, and he says the alphabet but mumbles some of the letters... LMNOP, etc. I'm trying to get him to identify the letters and numbers but I need help with ideas on how to do it without frustrating him or tiring myself out. Any suggestions? Also are there some games I can use to get him to learn things like the states names and identifing the alphabet and numbers?
  • 02-18-2008 1:41 PM In reply to

Re: How young can a child be???

Hi,

As Librarian here at HSI, I'd suggest that you consider checking the resources at your local public library.  Children's areas of libraries are very active places with storytimes and other programs as well as books, puzzles, CD-Roms and other materials to stimulate a child's imagination and learning.  You will be able to check out CDs with songs on them that will help him learn his colors, count, etc.  There are also many read aloud books that will help you help him learn to count and say the alphabet.

Alpha Omega also has a preschool readiness program - here's the link to the product description in our store.  There are other products (check out the teaching aids and preschool curriculum categories) which might also be helpful.

Have fun helpiing him explore his world!

Marjorie

• 02-18-2008 11:51 PM In reply to

Hi!  Lucky you to have a bright, healthy little guy to explore life with!

I suspect it is not very important to HIM to be able to recite the entire alphabet clearly nor to particularly identify all his numbers and letters.  You might want to go to the State education department for your state (online)and find out the educational requirements for,say, kindergarten.. You will probably find that the standards are less demanding than you could imagine.

Two year olds are busy exploring their world and how to move around in it with some independence. Language skills at that level are the fun things like the sounds of rhymes and the feeling of rhythm such as poems or Mother Goose type things.  It is good to keep it really simple.  Shapes, colors, letters with no pressure, counting, etc. 

For such an active child, the things that will stick are the ones that involve movement such as counting the steps up the slide.  Counting pushes in the swing, songs featuring letters, music and dancing for training the ear to rhythm, etc. How many times can you hop on one foot?  How many hops to the door?  The old fashioned A-is-for-apple type games.  Cut out big letters or use flash cards and make a fuss over the sound.  Tape it to something beginning with that sound all around the house.   Keep it simple and remember that the best part of homeschooling is that our children can learn to be lifelong learners.  Its an attitude and a mindset that starts when they are young. 

Just develop his curiosity by observing and discussing things with him.  "Look at that butterfly!  What color is it?  Is it big or little?  Is it on top of the flower or under the flower?  How many legs does it have?  What color is the butterfly's flower?  What do you think he is doing there?  Where do you think he will fly next?   There are countless opportunities during each day when his attention can be captured and focus will come naturally to him as you do this kind of observation with him.  He will have plenty of time to learn the details of academics.  There is no need to rush. 

Good Luck and have fun,

from "Anri".  (This was my 2 year old grandson's way of saying "Granny" - now it is my favorite nickname...but he's six and says it properly now!) 

• 02-19-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I like to take him out because there are so many chances to learn and teach but I just recently had a second baby and we've all been couped up in the house for the past two months. Now we'll make the library a regular on our nature walks. He is a very bright boy. He picks up on EVERYTHING so I want to make sure he's picking up on the 'right' things. He blows my mind at how smart he is. Thank you again. I will definitely put your idea to good use. Dawn
  • 02-19-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

You have such good ideas. Thank you. My boy really loves music and rhythm. He's constantly humming paterns and beats. We got him a drum set and he loves it. He even makes up songs using our names... abbi (daddy), mommy, and his baby brother Judah. You've inspired me to incorporate the A is for apple, etc. using his paterns that he hums already on a daily basis. That will encourage him to do it on his own, I think. And I've already started labeling items around the house but I've written out the whole word for each item. I think it will only help him learn to read quicker but I don't pressure him to 'read' the letters. We just identify the the items, I know TV is supposed to be a 'no no' but he gets so much out of Seasame Street and Word World. I only allow him to watch educational, age appropriate programming. Again, thank you. Every suggestion helps.
  • 02-29-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

You might look at the book Kitchen Table math from www.artofproblemsolving.com .  It gives fun activities for ages 2 and up to learn mathematical concepts through everyday life. For more ideas of things to do with a gifted child you might start reading at www.hoagiesgifted.org and check into articles at www.ditd.org.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Home School, Inc 2007