in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

Williams syndrome; new to H.S.

Last post 02-20-2008 5:30 PM by deetta. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2008 6:11 AM

• hflah
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-18-2008
    • Posts 1

Williams syndrome; new to H.S.

Hi my name is Heather. I just pulled my son out of special ed recently to start homeschooling him. I felt that the system was failing him and decided that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I have thought more than twice about this, but finally took the plunge and stopped thinking about it. I could have thought of a thousand reasons to not do it... and a thousand reasons to do it. I am trying it for the remainder of this school year to get a feel for it, and see how far he comes with one on one learning. If it goes well, I will keep it up. (so far so good :) I am anxious to hear from other parents who are homeschooling their spec.needs kids. best regards, Heather

• 02-20-2008 5:30 PM In reply to

• deetta
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2008
    • Alpharetta,Ga
    • Posts 4

Re: Williams syndrome; new to H.S.

Heather,

My name is DeEtta and we have a daughter with William's Syndrome. She is 13, in 7th grade and we are using the K12 curriculum through a virtual charter school program. We homeschool her but are a part of a virtual public school which means I am the learning coach but have assigned to me a reg. ed. and special ed. teachers who we communicate with weekly for help in making accommodations for her IEP. BEcuase she has an IEP and this is a virtual publicschool, she receives all texts, on line courses, and related services  compliments of the dept. of education. In other words she is getting a free and public education , complete with necessary services while being at home with me in the safest and most ideal learning environment for her. We used this program in Idaho and now are using it in Georgia. There are 18 states that have the virtual public school set up.It is great for families who need services and support for their children but cannot afford the luxury of private services. We also have field trips, virtual and face to face clubs and virtual classroom workshops where Sarah gets to interact with the teachers and other students using her computer and a microphone. You can check it out  at www.k12.com. Then click on your state to see what is offered in your area. I also posted more detail about the program under a posting for secular curriculums if you care to check that out.

I also belong to the William's Syndrome Association. You can check it out at williams-syndrome.org. It has wonderful information on how to teach children with WS and even breaks it down by subject strentghs and weaknesses and offers tips for teachers.

I would love to chat with you as a parent of a child with WS to another if you are interested. My email address is deettamyers@earthlink.net . I wish you the best  as you work with your daughter. There is no greater reward than working with your child and seeing them grow and enjoy the learning process.

DeEtta
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Home School, Inc 2007