in
< New to Homeschooling? 
< Homeschooling Resources 
< About Us 
< Contact Us 

Homeschool Community

The site for all your home school needs

secular curriculum

Last post 10-07-2008 10:33 AM by LeasMom. 54 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2008 1:36 AM In reply to

• bcjkab
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2008
    • Posts 8

Re: secular curriculum

I don't think you have spent any time in the public schools.  I live across the street from one. It's an institution. But I would like to get a tax rebate for homeschooling,  instead of supporting public schools.  I really think this should be optional. 

Your argument is leaning towards your own lack(sorry) of religious education, if you say  you were brought up catholic then you must know that you are always going to be one  through your baptism.  Lucky you, you can go to confession and all will be forgiven.(I know you don't want to hear that stuff :)     The fact is that children should know both, the love of their parents and the love of God.  If   that is  what their parents beleive.  Theology can be argued forever.  I do not think even 3 catholics in 1 Forum would all agree on what's best for their own individual children.  Everyone is different that's what makes the world so great! 

Regarding the infestation of corporate America and their brain washing of our beautiful and innocent young minds via pop culture; perhaps you should venture over to your t.v. and look for a children's cartoon that doesn't  demean parents, cause sibling rivalry, or contain vast amounts of potty humor.   Then you can switch to disney and let them teach your child.  Not Mine!  Look at the movie Shreck(disgusting, perverts). Why would I want to explain that potty humor(freak humor) to my small children.  Most children's movies are full of flatulence and mislead jokes with sexual undertones geared for older people,(not really mature people just older)   

Maybe this is too much for you because you aren't there yet. Literally, it all hits you one day when your child is watching something and you just start seeing it everywhere.  It is a never ending job to filter out the garbage.  I don't plan on having perfect children, but I do want them to understand the difference between human beings and animals.  They know I care and then they ...care about themselves.  You know garbage in, garbage out.

I have many thoughts of my own, so did Ghandi.  Don't be condescending, it's not very nice.  Just because I find peace in the Lord doesn't mean I am uneducated or "afraid" of the world. Personally I think everyone does a little indoctrinating when it comes to parenting. You teach your ideas and give your opinions to your child. That's the best part of being a homeschooling parents! :)

I  do have friends in other faiths and non-faiths.  The idea that I am small minded (trying to put me in a category)  will never work,  I have 5 kids, so this is highly unlikely just do to pure interaction on all levels. I am close witha small group of secular moms from doing midwivery work. I home birthed 3 of my babies.  The reason I replied was,  to let the catholic mom(read the message) know that having God on the agenda does not make things  more  stressful.  BTW I make my own curriculum so my children are exposed to whatever they like and need. I don't know how many children you have.  I have to keep mine a little more organized because of the numbers.  We joke about it and call it an academy because my children all wear uniforms.  Due to the large amounts of laundry.  It's just polos and navy bottoms. My children and I make jokes about our fascist militant academy while we are really having fun all day : ).

Good Luck and really ...BE NICE!

• 02-11-2008 1:53 AM In reply to

• bcjkab
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2008
    • Posts 8

Calm down... I didn't mean to sound that way.  I am sorry I upset the secular forum... I was personally upset.  I came on looking for some

other ideas, because all ideas are good.  Sorry again. 

• 02-11-2008 2:14 AM In reply to

• bcjkab
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2008
    • Posts 8

Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I am sure your son is a brilliant child!  These forums seem so impersonal and sometimes

you forget someone is on the other end of a message.  I got a meany after me too :)  I was severely misunderstood or mis-spoken.

Oh well that's the brakes...sorry.

Try this link for fun science projects geared more towards boys his age like discectionkits, and electricity even building your own robots...My son thinks this is very cool!  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/

My son also uses discovery.com and history.com and animal planet.com.  They are all good places to go and they have great information.

As far as a curriculum I am not sure what you are looking for I have a different situation.

Many of the Science books have information he already knows.

So  I have moved on to immersion of Copernicus Galileo this month seems to work better for him. Every month a new person.

Same with History we use the computer and he is doing immersion of the civil war.

He can learn and retain much more this way and the civil war is very cool study for boys.

Filed under: , ,
  • 02-11-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

As a moderator of this forum, I see that it is time to step in here and send a gentle reminder to our forum users.  This needs to be a place where HSI members can feel safe to ask questions related to curriculum choices...regardless if you are using secular or non-secular choices!  This is NOT a place for religious attacks or opinions.  Let us not forget that we homeschoolers stand on common ground...we chose to homeschool.  While many choose to do this for religious reasons others chose to do this for alternative reasons. 

HSI is an INCLUSIVE place for homeschoolers to gather.  All are welcome!  Let us remember to support one another and leave negativity and personal opinions out of this forum.  There are real people behind these posts!  If you would like to post something related to curriculum then please post about your experiences in using materials/programs.  If you have a question about curriculum please feel free to ask.  If you have something to say that is unrelated to curriculum then please search for a forum related to the topic you wish to discuss.

Warmly,

~hsiamy

~ hsiamy
  • 02-11-2008 5:49 PM In reply to

Thanks,

After reviewing the curriculum at Calvert and with e-mails back and forth- I found that my son has already done half of the 8th grade History, and they will not let him "jump in" the middle of the course- and well I don't really feel like re-peating it and on top of the rigid amount of work they do, I have chosen to not go with them. So it is off to searching again---- I need an acredited school (SECULAR!!!!!) so it will be an easier transistion for him to go into High School.  Unlike what some have said- I don't think all schools are horrible- although the public middle  school for my son is (which is the only reason why I am homeschooling him) And he will be able to go to a decent High School-

Ok- So now I am a little confused with the posts today- Can you or someone please tell me where in all the "secular Homeschooling" posts did someone say that faith or God was stressfull? I have read them all- still can't seem to find where anyone said that having faith or faith in God was stressfull; I know that I said paying $500.00 a month for private school was stressfull! Not all of us are rich, some of us even go through some finacial dificulties, for what ever reason.Having all the faith in the world was not going to give me the 500.00 a month I needed to pay the tuition, and  having to pay this when I simply DID NOT have it was STRESSFUL. 

Okay, sorry to vent on you,  After reading the other post -  (from bcjkab) I was a little anoid and alot confused- but I am really not venting toward you personaly,  Just want to make my point loud and clear to all of those who can't seem to comprehend what I origionaly said.

Thanks!!!!!

• 02-11-2008 8:16 PM In reply to

I don't take it personally. I will refrain from speaking further about this 'stressful god' issue.  I got a smack on the wrist by moderator because I spoke my mind about an ignorant, false comment about you saying that 'god was stressful' ... Actually, I got a little confused and thought I was in 'Homeschool_Atheist' forum which is also a yahoo group.  My bad...It's funny, but lots of Christians cross over to that forum  too, but they are quickly diverted.   

Either way...I think you sound like a caring parent and have your son's best interest in mind.  I'm  also on a journey such as yours...in search for the great curriculum.  May I suggest looking into 'learning styles' ?  I think my 12 year old learns best by reading .  My other son is a combination of the different learning styles.   Google "learning styles" ..it's a great place to start.... Please come over to the Homeschool_Atheist forum or you can e-mail me , personally, at pastaheads2002@yahoo.com.  (BTW...this is a personal invite...)  Exclusively for  'Secular Homeschoolers'  and home schoolers that are tolerant of non-believers. 

Have a great day. 

• 02-11-2008 8:19 PM In reply to

could you please explain why my post was deleted and 'bjakab 02/11 /08 1:36 wasn't deleted?  Are you discriminating against a non-religious person?  She personally attacked me and another post.  Is this a religious forum?? 

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2008 12:46 AM In reply to

• bcjkab
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2008
    • Posts 8

"I don't think he needs the stress of this added on to starting high school. The calvert school offers a credited curriculum,"

I was thrown by this simple statement on your post.  Again I was wrong and I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Children in private schools are also getting credit for their curriculum.  Again this was a simple misunderstanding.  I will not post again on this matter. 

One thing is you need to know that life is life and knowledge is all important whether or not it agrees with your faith you still need it.

Just because I am a christian does not mean that I can not enter into a synagogue or read the Darwinisms that appear in a science book.

I tell my children that I am arming them with knowledge so they are ready for whatever comes their way as adults.

How would I defend my faith by remaining ignorant to any other.  But as the moderator has proposed this is not a fruitful argument in this forum.  I would like to remain in your better thoughts.

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2008 6:50 AM In reply to

Dear Tonbert,

I don't know if you've read my post before it was deleted by moderators.  This is a hot topic for me. 

I don't know if you're religious, but you were posting under "secular curriculum" and searching for a stressfree curriculum. 

I came aboard 'hardcore' , because I am hardcore.  Some people are religious and want to 'spread the word' by bringing others into religion.  I guess I'm the opposite and want to try to shake people to their senses and help raise thier kids in freethought, critical thought, science based approach.  You're ahead of me in the high school, home school needs.  My sons are young (12 & 8).  If you do find a 'stressfree' curriculum, I would appreciate a personal e-mail. 

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

Good morning, everyone.

This is Thomas Morrow, the CEO of Home School, Inc.  It is critical for everyone to understand that these forums are open to all.  I offer you my personal, iron-clad assurance, that, short of being ad hominem abuse or clearly outrageous, all posts pass through these forums uninterrupted by my staff.  We do NOT discriminate on any basis, including religion.  At the same time, it is critical to understand that each of these forums have specific topical purposes and it would be better for discussions to remain apropos to those topical purposes.  This post was not deleted but incorrectly submitted.  We have already informed the writer she is welcome to re-post her remarks, if she would like.

Should you desire to carry on passionate argumentation of philosophical issues like this, please feel free to do so in the On the Homeschool Soapbox Forum Group, which will be added shortly.  We welcome and encourage you to engage one another in a give and take on the topics that concern you.

Thank you for your participation and best regards,

Thomas Morrow

Filed under: ,
  • 02-12-2008 12:14 PM In reply to

I am so confused now !! I am sorry I caused a stir all I wanted was some info on non faith based curriculum....so if you can help with ideas   great...if not then move on to another post....lets all be nice here were all here to better our children!

has anyone used www.homeschoolstockroom.com ??? if yes what are your thoughts

thanks

Amanda

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2008 1:03 PM In reply to

Hi Amanda,

I've found that finding all in one secular curriculum is more difficult.  Have you taken a look at the Spectrum series of workbooks?  You might also want to check out the Harcourt School materials.  They have good supporting materials for various grade levels and subjects.  You can always email us at help@home-school-inc.com and we'll help you sort out some choices.

Marjorie

HSI staff member

• 02-12-2008 1:39 PM In reply to

I don't know much about K12, but I think you might be able to enrol your son for just the 'second semester' of grade 8.

http://www.k12.com 

Wendy 

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2008 4:23 PM In reply to

HI

You have NO reason to be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the people who feel that they are able to judge you, me and anyone else who do not believe what they believe!!

You have every right to be here and ask for support, help or anything else. I am looking again for a secular curriculum myself. I told you about Calvert ealier, after viewing the curriculum, as I said before, I have found that my son has already done half the 8th grade History. I still think it would be a great curriculum, they have alot to offer- but I am looking elsewhere. So I agree with you- anyone who has any ideas on this GREAT- if not MOVE ON!!!!!!

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2008 5:29 PM In reply to

I use the Calvert program for my two children and use some Great Books Academy materials. Calvert is a complete and excellent program, but I like to do activities and lessons from other programs from time to time. Have fun, and don't be afraid to make your own lessons.

Filed under:
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Home School, Inc 2007